Starting with the iPhone 6s series, taking a Live Photo is on your device. This tip applies to iPhone and iPad.
This is for iPhone, iPad and Mac or similar devices.\
How to Take a Live Photo
- Open the Camera app.
- Make sure that your Camera is set to photo mode and that Live Photo is turned on. When it’s on, you see the Live Photo button (3 concentric circles icon) highlighted at the top of your Camera.
- Hold your device still
- Tap the shutter button
Live Photo is on by default. If you want to take a still image, tap the Live Photo button to turn off Live Photo. You can preserve your Camera settings so that Live Photo is always on or off. Go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings.
Tweet Your Live Photo as a GIF
- Open your Twitter app
- In the bottom right hand corner, tap on the Compose button. Its icon features a feather encased in a blue circle.
- Locate and tap on your Live Photo in the quick-access image bar. You should see the Live icon overlayed on the thumbnail. If you are unable to find the Live Photo, select the Gallery button and then tap on your desired image.
- With the Live Photo loaded into the Tweet preview, tap on the “GIF” button found in the lower left hand corner. The Live Photo will be converted into a GIF and will play. You can select the Play button that appears when it stops to see the animation again.
- Type a brief message to go along with your GIF and tap the Tweet button.
That’s it. You are done.
How to find and play your Live Photos
- Open the Photos app
- Go to the Photos tab
- Tap the Live Photo
- Firmly press the screen and hold
Also, you can Edit or add Effects to your Live Photo by tapping the appropriate option.
What if you want to transform a Live Photo to a static photo?
Instructions are for iOS 13:
- Open your Photos app
- Select the Live Photo
- Tap Edit
- Tap the Live Photo icon at bottom of the screen from the available actions
- Tap the Live Photo icon at the top of the screen so that it is not enabled
- Tap Done
Now, if you press hard on the photo, you won’t see any movement. You can always restore a Live Photo that you’ve edited by following those steps and tapping the icon to highlight it.
I Would Like to Hear from You
Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love hearing from you. Do you have a computer tech question? I will do my best to answer your inquiry. Please mention the app and version that you are using. To help me out, you can send screenshots of your data related to your question.